.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

 

Back to School


Well, I thought I would never say this, but I am back to school. I decided that if I was to grow in my accounting degree, and get a better paying job, then I had better get my masters in business administration. Therefore, I am now heading down a not-too-long road of 18 months to do just that. I must say that I didn't ever hate school, but I found that I enjoy the work environment much more than the study/acedemia environment. This could be because I learn so much faster and remember so much more in a hand's on experience. My previous job was great. I learned tons in a very short amount of time and gave it my all. However, after 6+ years, my manager and I weren't seeing eye to eye, I was starting a family(picture attached of our little daughter) and I didn't feel that I was being paid well for the type of work I was accomplishing.

My new place of work is almost like being home again. I grew up on a chicken and egg farm of 10,000 chickens and approximately that many eggs per day. I now am working for a pig farm, which has over 23,000 sows. These sows produce piglets which are then sent across five states for raising them and selling them. Some of you are probably immediatly thinking this is a large farm and doesn't care for the animals. On the CONTRARY, we are a christian organization, whose philosophy is that if we care for the animals, they will be more productive. We are also very progressive in our nutrient management of the soil in which we spread manure. I have learned that this farm is very much in favor of a good environment. I wish some of the college professors at Calvin College and staff at the Humane Society of the U.S. would recognize that not all large farms are mean to animals and the invironment. Actually most big farms are probably better for the environment than small farmers just because of the huge amounts of federal/state regulations have upon them.

Its been over a month since my last post, so I thought I had better get up to date again.

Labels:


Comments:
As someone who is going back to school himself, I understand the feelings.

PS-Beautiful pictures of your daughter.
 
That is cool you are going to school too. I didn't know. And, we all agree that Callie is very very cute. We just hope it doesn't go to her head since we say it all the time. :)
 
Hah! I like the shot of her propped up on her little arm!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?